Twentieth Century Public School Superintendents
of St. Charles Parish

T. B. Sellers, 1896 - 1912
J. B. Martin, 1913 - 1944
A. A. Songy, 1944 - 1945 (Acting)
R. J. Vial, Jr., 1945 - 1973
Bruce Meeks, 1973

Robert C. Rice, 1973 - 1983
Stanley P. Berard, 1984 - 1989
Thomas S. Tocco, 1989 - July 1994
Irvon J. Gomez, July 1994 - April
1995 (Interim)
Rodney R. Lafon, April 1995 - 2013
Felicia Gomez-Walker 2013 -

Mexican Petroleum Company School students
pictured in 1917.


W ith the arrival of the petroleum industry in the early 1900s, a major shift took place in the public school district. These major industries would not only begin to provide tax revenues which would help to bolster public education, but would also promote better schooling for their employees’ children. Because of their Destrehan High School opened in 1924. keen awareness of the importance of education, schools were established on some of the industry sites. Mexican Petroleum in Destrehan demonstrated its commitment to the school system, specifically higher education, by donating three and one half acres of its property to the school board for the construction of a high school. On August 7, 1923, the school board president accepted the donation and also authorized the purchase of Keller property for the construction of a west bank high school in Hahnville. Mexican Petroleum was recognized by the school board for their support of the bond issues, which financed the construction. This was an early example of industry/school cooperative efforts, which would exist throughout the years that followed. In 1923, the The Hahnville High School in 1924. The parish courthouse is in the background. superintendent was authorized to open a Negro school at Shell Mound as a direct result of a petition by the African American residents of the area. Destrehan High School was dedicated on September 15, 1924, and Hahnville High School on the west bank was dedicated the
same year.


Destrehan High School Teacherage

The Teacherage at Destrehan High School in 1924 provided a place for unmarried educators to live. Similar housing was available at Hahnville High School. Housing was also available on the campus for the principals and their families.


   Soon after The Hahnville High School dedication in 1925. their openings, the two schools were lauded for their accomplishments in a front-page photographic layout in the Times Picayune rotogravure supplement. Opening of the two high schools in 1924 dramatically changed the way white students would be schooled in the parish. Before this time, students had to seek higher education at other venues such as Leon Godchaux High School in Reserve. This was supplemented by funds provided by St. Charles Parish. Some went to live with relatives or attended schools in the city or surrounding parishes. Secondary public educational opportunities for African American students continued to be meager.

The Hahnville High School eleventh grade graduating class in 1929.


The Bayou Gauche school boat owned by Willie E. Dufrene. (Photo courtesy of Opal Dufrene)

The 1927 school “transfers” are lined up and ready to
roll. (Photos courtesy of Patrick Yoes)


Teachers–DHS Faculty. (Source: The Refinery, the Destrehan High School yearbook, 1927)

Montz’s Grammar School in 1927. (Source: The Refinery, the Destrehan High School yearbook, 1927)




St. Rose School. (Source: The Refinery, the Destrehan High School Yearbook, 1927)









< < Prev Next > >






Destrehan High School in 2010. Newspaper article about Destrehan High Mural

> > See More

 Related Entries

Hahnville High School in 2010

New Schools
Two new public high schools opened in 1976…


Mexican Petroleum Company School students pictured in 1917

Public Education
With the arrival of the petroleum industry in the early 1900s, a major shift took place…

> > Related Entries



School Days - St. Charles Parish

> > See More

 Related Magazine Articles

River Parish Focus Magazine


  Cultural Vistas


The DA’s Race is On

The DA’s Race is On

Vol. 1 No. 1

Read Article


Cousin Enos and T Johnny

Cousin Enos and T Johnny

Vol. 1 No. 11

Read Article


> > All Articles







Copyright © This text is copyright material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.