The Patron Saint of St. Charles Parish- St. Charles Borromeo..

In 1807, St. Charles Parish was named for the Ecclesiastical Parish of St. Charles,
which served its parishioners in colonial times and in succeeding centuries at its
present location in Destrehan. Charles Borromeo was born of noble birth on October
2, 1538, in a castle on Lake Maggiore in Italy. His father was Count Gilbert
Borromeo and his mother was a Medici of Milano. While studying civil and canon law
at the University of Paris, Charles acquired the reputation of being a paragon of
virtue and humility.
He earned his doctorate at age twenty-two. When his uncle,
Cardinal de Medici, was named Pope Pius IV in 1559, he named...

...Charles as cardinal-deacon and administrator of Milano or the secretary of state of the Vatican. In 1563, at the age of twenty- five, Charles was ordained a priest Charles flourished in his new profession. He supervised the drafting of the Catechism of the Council of Trent and the reform of liturgical books and music. In 1566, he returned to Milano to reform the diocese and retained his reputation as a Saint Charles Borromeo's Humilitas Badge paragon of virtue and humility. He established the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine mandating that children be properly instructed in Christian doctrine. Thousands of children participated in this program during his lifetime and this mandate continues today. Charles died on November 3, 1584, at the age of forty-six. He was beatified in 1602 and canonized in 1610 (his feast day is celebrated on November 4).

     The Church of St. Charles was founded on the east bank of the German Coast 130 years later. The name Borromeo surfaced later in church records. There is a statue of St. Charles enshrined in front of the church in Destrehan. The altar stone at St. Charles Borromeo rests on a massive walnut tree trunk imported from Arona, Italy. This tree was estimated to be four hundred years old, dating back to the time that Charles Borromeo walked the streets of Arona. As a tribute to his prominence in the parish’s history, a statue of his likeness stands at the parish courthouse in Hahnville.


 Read more about:

• The Catholic Church in St. Charles Parish


< < Back to Home





In 1887, forty arpents were added to the 1770 land grant donated to St. Charles Borromeo Church for religious purposes. The Church now held 617.68 acres. After the Louisiana Purchase in 1821, these lands were registered with the United States government. In 1890, the “Little Red Church,” built in 1806 on this land grant, entered a period of interdiction, losing pastoral support of the archbishop due to conflicts with the church charter and wardens. During this period, the parishioners worshipped at St. Charles Parish west bank and Kenner churches. Bird's eyeview. 1859

> > See More

Related Entries

Little Red Church painting by Father Joseph Paret

Fr. Joseph Paret Arrives on German Coast - 1848
Approaching the middle of the nineteenth century, life was...


The 1740 chapel, named “St. Charles,” was built in the area now known as Destrehan. (Sketch by Janis Blair)

St. Charles Church
"Tradition says that in 1740, that first little chapel, St. Jean des Allemands Catholic...

> > Related Entries

External Links



Copyright © This text is copyright material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.